December 14, 2021

Mirrored Lessons

The Child
~ Mirrored Lessons ~

My aged mother, now long gone

has moved into my mirror


she smiles at me when I walk by

reminding me of long ago

when both of us were younger


the child came crying, all forlorn

for lack of any friends, so mom

showed her a mirror, where

a good lesson formed


see how much nicer your face appears

when you smile, she said - had me

practice for a while then

sent me off to play


next morning, climbing on the bus

grinning ear to ear - the same girl

yet not quite the same, tried to

spread good cheer


these days, each time I see mom’s face

glancing out at me, I remind her how

important a smile proves to be


and there she is, grin intact, 

smiling back at me, still

sending me off into my

day - skipping


JoMae

12/14/21

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sweet.

Sheri Venema said...

What a nice poem, and a wonderful memory. I, too, see my mother's face in my mirrors. And don't we all need to smile more? Thanks for the reminder.

Post a Comment

~ Thanks for stopping by. Your comments are welcome! ~