November 20, 2018

My Breathing Tree


Artist Credit: Peace, Be Still by James Browne
[https://www.etsy.com/shop/brownieman]

~ My Breathing Tree ~

When
I was a girl
there was a tree
growing quite close
beside a porch. A walnut tree
with arms so strong it safely could
hang on to me as I climbed up high 
with a book in hand and tucked 
myself in the crook of a limb

There I’d sit as still as could be
barely breathing so I could see if
what I felt was the breath of the tree

It had to be. I could feel her, snug
against my back with the gentle rhythm
of a living hug. I was sure she breathed
her love for me as she held me close - and I
so still as not to break the magic spell while
I sat with my book in the arms of my tree
and read of lives I wanted to be

At 80 now, I still recall it vividly
that sense of the tree  
 breathing with me 

JoMae
11/19/18 

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ Thanks for stopping by. Your comments are welcome! ~