April 27, 2010

When I'm an Old Woman


WHEN I’M AN OLD WOMAN


I shall sit in this chair in my sweatshirt and jeans
With my books and my papers all scattered again
I shall think with my pencil
And spout off with my pen

I shall read at my books
Talk back as I please
And say it my way
Til the moon turns to cheese

My granddaughters will greet me
Not seeing themselves in the face they caress
Nor that once it was me
In that pretty red dress

My daughters will gradually dawn on the fact
That their little girls look much as they did
And gadzooks and upheaval
THEY look like I did!

It’s cute to have daughters
Resembling you
But look like my Mother?
Oh what shall I do!

When I’m an old woman
- Trekked every stage -
From gently loved granddaughter
To wiry old sage

I’ll look back with glee at the lessons I’ve learned
And watch those behind me step into their turn

-JoMae
                      4/27/10
                  

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ Thanks for stopping by. Your comments are welcome! ~