April 24, 2010

A Photo of Me

A Photo of Me

My Daughter at twenty
My eightyish Mother
Engrossed in discussion
Across from each other

As I look at the photo
I observe in the air
An invisible spirit
Uniting the pair

My Self hovers there!

Old photos would prove a resemblance uncanny
There is my clone - I doubt that she sees it
Would she cringe at the thought?
Does any girl dream of looking like Mother?

My Mother is aging and frail and petite
I won't be as short or as skinny at eighty
Yet just as I see my own youth in my Daughter
I know the old woman will one day be me!

So I keep that photo on a shelf with my books
And while I'm not in it when anyone looks
I'm there in their smiles
In their youth - in their age

I'm there in the air like the words on a page
Expressed in the bookends that anchor my being
My Mother - My Daughter
My Self at each stage

-JoMae-

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ Thanks for stopping by. Your comments are welcome! ~