August 09, 2020

Adapting

Rained Out? Have An Umbrella Parade
You should see these kids today! Life is full of adapting to change!

~  Adapting ~ 
I never know when a writing prompt is going emerge!  This morning, taking a quick peek at facebook, the first thing I saw was a photo and recipe of a decadent desert followed by comments about how yummy it looked. I immediately noticed something that prompted me to close fb until later so I could write. Because…

Some time ago I would have joined right in.  I still like a bit of chocolate and a little gooey sweetness - but this absolutely did not appeal. In noticing that, I saw a connection to other recent life changes.  I felt almost compelled to stop and examine it all more closely.

Several years back, I landed in the hospital where it was discovered I am diabetic. Determined to manage this, I changed my eating patterns and learned to control the disease with careful food intake. Soon thereafter, I was taken off prescription meds and so far have not needed to go back on them.  I know I am fortunate and many people cannot do this. 

The thing is, I use very little sugar - and as time went by, began to observe that beautiful deserts tempted less and less, until, as this morning  proved, brought quite the opposite reaction from that of craving!  Also, a little sugar is apt to taste far too sweet!  How things have changed! And how my body has adapted! My very notion of a treat is different today.

Which brings me to the other change my gut response to this morning’s photo brought to mind.  After living with loved ones my whole life, for three years now, since my husband died, I’ve been adapting to life on my own. A task at first unthinkable, impossible.  Yet gradually one learns how. Slowly moving forward into this unknown, new routines - unchosen, yet forced by circumstance, became small comfort zones. Small gifts, embracing and embraced. Until, one day looking back, an awareness sets in that while memories remain a wonderful place to visit, new joy has seeped in. New life. 

For me, that joy comes wrapped in endless hours to read and contemplate and write.  Long days. At first a nightmare, incomprehensible to survive, have become a welcome gift. An old gift/hobby, really - now multiplied.  A gift I open eagerly each morning and almost always find a sweet surprise to ponder and enjoy.  In this way too, my whole being has adapted! Thanks be to Godde!

~ Adopting Change ~

JoMae
7/27/20

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ Thanks for stopping by. Your comments are welcome! ~